Monday, January 17, 2005

39 or 40?

so apparently you don't need to be all that great at math to get into law school. my dear friend, lani, who is incredibly intelligent, does NOT know BASIC math. we went to fairway - her total was $10.92. she gave the cashier $50.02 and both she & the cashier couldn't figure out what her correct change should be. so she tells the cashier, "yeah, it's $40.10." now, i am not one to correct people, because i don't really like to, as most people take it offensively so i just stood their quiet. we walk out the door and she stops... "it's $40, right?"

me: NO. it's $39.10

lani: are you sure?

me: YES. think about it. just add $10 and $40, what is that, $50. and then add your 92 cents. [enter sarcasm] oh! you went over already. trust me, i'm good with numbers.

this goes back and forth for a little while ($39 vs. $40)

lani: wait. [gets out phone to use calculator & screws it up on the first try; trys again] oh. shit. you're good. how the hell did i get into law school?

me: apparently it must not be too hard, if you don't even know basic math!

so we walk back in & she gives the cashier a dollar. and btw -- the cashier seemed pretty confused, as she obviously didn't figure it out that it's $39, as well.

disclaimer: i promise you lani is NOT a dumbass. although, i do have to say "she got hers" for when she laughed at me for walking into a door (IT WAS CLEAN GLASS!!!!!!!!!) on saturday. because she did the same thing yesterday!!!! ha ha. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger j said...

how DARE you make fun of the math challenged! i read that entry and still cannot figure out if it's 39 or 40. i was in a cab and gave the driver my last $16 on a $17 fare, then we went to an atm and i gave him a $20. he gave me my $16 back. i couldn't figure out if he was giving me change or if i still needed to give him a tip. so i gave him 4 more dollars. it wasn't until three days later i realized i'd given him $24 for that ride. oh yeah and i was really drunk. not that that escuses me being a math retard.

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg!! jakoochie! i thought you were my friend! you provide me with tons of reasons to laugh, so i thought i'd return the favor! no really, i WAS joking!! (i was correct though.... right?!)

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home