Thursday, March 17, 2005

30 second interview

THIRTY seconds. yes, as in HALF a minute. that's how long my job interview was today. remember how i said that my teacher (slash everything) sent my resume to someone? well, i went on that interview today. before i went in, i decided that i was gonna be completely honest about my abilities, as it has just recently been brought to my attention that the reason i've never tried for a fashion job is because i'm deathly afraid of the interviewing process. why? because you have to be able to fucking draw. i've been sewing for 16 years and know how to do EVERYTHING BUT very well.

so i said to myself: self, just be honest -- if you lie to them about your abilities, you'll just be fucking yourself in the ass if you get hired. if they don't like what you have for them, so be it. it's not like you'll need this job for gratification, as you have your business that you refuse to run.

btw -- i had to run and buy a suit 45 minutes before i had to leave for the interview!! i forgot that mindi had/has the bottom half of my suit (the other one currently doesn't fit and the other other one was given to goodwill when i quit ru and the 2 that i made aren't "interview appropriate" and the other other other one -- i just don't like it). oops.

let me set the scenario for you: interviewer is chowing on a turkey on white sandwich (but mad because it was supposed to be rye) and says:

dude: okay, show me what you got. [chew, chew, chew]

me: um. do you even have my resume?

dude: um, no, i don't think so. i've never seen it.

i take it out and he doesn't even LOOK at it. instead, he continues to eat his turkey on white.

me: okay. well, i'm just gonna be honest. i'm not a good drawer.. [interrupted]

dude: what? but that's what we need!

me: i know, but i just have to be honest with you because i don't want to get myself into trouble. BUT i can make it all come to life, i'm VERY good at that. [show him some pictures -- he doesn't even look, btw]

dude: i don't need that, we have factories. [pause] well, you'd basically be going back and forth between design and production. would you be interested in putting together production packets?

me: yeah.

dude: would you want to be a design assistant for x dollars?

me: yeah (thinking he's fucking joking).

dude: okay, you're hired!

me: [retardedly SHOCKED look on face] huh? are you serious?

dude: yeah!

me: oh. okay! fabulous!

so he introduces me to a few people and tells them that they're gonna have to train me how to do EVERYTHING (including drawing & illustrator). ?? weird. thought they want people that CAN do EVERYTHING... ??

and i start tomorrow.

you see, honesty is totally the best fucking policy EVER!

:)

looks like i owe the ol' teach a big fat thanks AGAIN.

and this time, i WON'T be emailing... :p

2 Comments:

Blogger Marissa said...

Love it!!! That's just SO classic! Congrats on the job. And oh yeah, on being honest too :)

4:24 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

That is the most amazing thing I've heard in a long time. Congrats!

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home